Bee The Change, Awareness Poster for Biodiversity (Part 2)


My awareness poster is about biodiversity in our backyards and how by mowing early in the season, we take away the opportunity to learn more about plants in our backyards. Plants that can thrive and, by doing so, can feed insects and birds and heal the soil. I named this poster "Bee the change" to get viewers' attention to bees as a representative of species that depend on biodiversity. I chose bold colors to attract the eye and easy access to additional information by providing a QR code. I also decided to go with a dandelion because lawn owners usually disdain this weed, and they consider it to be invasive. In truth, dandelions are harmless weeds with a long list of benefits described on the website QR code provided. I made this poster to educate and change people's minds by giving them information about the topic in an easy-to-access way.

To make this poster,  I combined images, text, and other graphics by following the design principles described in a given module.

I used two images, one for the background by Uta Naumann and one for a picture of a bee on a dandelion by Miriam Fischer. I cropped out the image of a bee on a dandelion by combining Polygonal Lasso and Quick Selection tools. Then I masked that layer and adjusted the hue and saturation of yellows to bring it close to the background tones. I also used the Eraser tool to blend the border between these layers and keep it realistic. I added a stem to the flower with a Stamp tool and adjusted the background to avoid visible similarities. I added bold text for the header and sub-header and went through different color choices. Then I added additional information on the issue and used the Smudge tool on the background to make the smaller text easier to see.

 I provided a QR code to follow for more information and a link.






Sources:

https://www.dogwoodalliance.org/our-work/forests-climate/biodiversity-in-your-backyard/

Photo by Uta Naumann from Pexels: https://www.pexels.com/photo/yellow-dandelion-flowers-on-green-grass-4353284/

 Photo by Miriam Fischer from Pexels: https://www.pexels.com/photo/macro-shot-of-a-bee-pollinating-a-yellow-flower-7661500/

Comments